Unlock Your Best Sleep Ever with an Ergonomic Pillow
It’s easy to take your pillow for granted. After all, most pillows look more or less the same once they have a cover on, and you might find yourself going for years without buying a new one. Even if you pay close attention to things like the sheets and blankets that you put on your bed, you might not give your pillow a second thought.
And that’s a mistake. The quality of your pillow – and how it works for your personal needs – will have a lot to do with how well you sleep at night. If your pillow isn’t working as it should, even the best mattress in the world won’t allow you to get a great night of rest.
So, in this article, we are going to discuss the benefits of an ergonomic pillow to improve your sleep. More and more people are realizing just how important a good pillow can be, and as a result, new products are coming onto the market to fill this need. Is an ergonomic pillow right for you? Let’s take a closer look.
The Problem with Standard Pillows
Until recently, there hadn’t been a lot of change in the world of pillows for quite some time. Generally, a pillow has been rectangular in shape, and it has been filled with some sort of soft material that can serve as a cushion for your head. And to be sure, the traditional pillow has worked pretty well. Compared to lying flat on the ground or resting your head up against a rock in a cave, a fluffy down pillow is a downright luxury.
That doesn’t mean the current version of a traditional pillow is perfect, however. There are some common issues with the design that most people use, including the following –
- It doesn’t fit your body. When you have a moment, look at your pillow lying on your bed. Then, picture yourself climbing into bed and laying down. Does the shape of the pillow match what your body is going to need for support? Not really. If you sleep on your side, as many people do, there is a sizeable space between the mattress and the side of your head – most pillows don’t fill up that space properly. In the end, this means you don’t get all the support you need, and you might wake up sore in the morning. Or, worse yet, you might struggle to fall asleep at all.
- It loses its shape during the night. For the sake of argument, let’s say that you manage to get your traditional pillow into a perfect shape for you to fall asleep comfortably. That’s great – but it’s not going to last. As you move around a bit in your sleep, that shape is going to be lost, and you might wake up in a very different position from how you fell asleep. Again, this can lead to issues such as sleeplessness and sore muscles, and there isn’t much you can do about it. You can’t exactly tell yourself not to move around in your sleep. Those movements are bound to happen, and your traditional pillow is going to let you down as a result.
What is an Ergonomic Pillow?
Ergonomic pillows offer solutions to the issues presented above. Basically, the goal of an ergonomic pillow is to optimize what a traditional pillow already aims to do. This type of pillow is still going to rest on your bed and support your head, but it is (hopefully) going to do so more effectively.
The two points we discussed in the previous section are directly addressed by most ergonomic pillows. First, the shape of an ergonomic pillow is meant to work more naturally with your body, so you won’t have to fight to get into a comfortable position. Often, there is a raised area near the front of the pillow, meant to fill in the gap between the mattress and your neck when laying on your side. As soon as you lay down, you should notice much greater support than you are used to with your old pillow.
Another important advantage offered by this type of pillow is the stable nature of its shape. Ergonomic pillows tend to be made with foam, which is going to hold its shape even as you move around in the night. That means you are more likely to still be getting the support you need even if you have shifted your position a bit. Not only can this help you stay asleep for longer stretches, but it will hopefully cause your body to feel better in the morning.
Types of Ergonomic Pillows
At this point, you may be thinking that using an ergonomic pillow sounds pretty promising. But which one do you buy? If you quickly search Google for some options, you are going to be inundated with possibilities. Don’t let those possibilities overwhelm you. Below we have listed three of the most popular types of ergonomic pillows.
- Contour pillows. When viewed from the side, this type of pillow takes the shape of a gentle wave. Popular among side sleepers, this is an excellent option for those who have a hard time getting their head and neck into a comfortable, neutral position for sleeping.
- Slim pillows. As the name would indicate, this pillow has a very slender profile from top to bottom. Rather than a big, fluffy traditional pillow, this one may only rise a couple of inches above the mattress. This is an option well-suited for stomach sleepers who might wind up with neck pain when attempting to sleep on a pillow that is too thick.
- Wedge pillows. This is also a model where the name accurately describes the shape of the product. As you move farther and farther up this pillow, you will be taken higher up off the mattress. So, you can customize how the pillow feels simply by positioning your body in the right spot. These are also popular because they can be turned up on their ends to provide support when sitting up in bed to read, watch TV, etc.
Which of these pillow styles is going to be best for you? Unfortunately, there will likely need to be a little bit of trial and error involved before you can make that determination. Contour pillows often work for side sleepers and slim pillows are commonly chosen by stomach sleepers, but those are just general categories. Everyone is different, and it may take a couple of tries before you find something that hits the sweet spot for you.
Adjusting to Your New Ergonomic Pillow
There is a lot to like about ergonomic pillows. With that said, you might want to temper your expectations a little bit when first placing an order. Remember, any change to your sleep setup is going to be a bit of an adjustment, and you might not snooze comfortably on the very first night. As you gradually learn how to use an ergonomic pillow, you will hopefully see more and more benefits emerge.
Do your best not to rush to judgment when you start using your new pillow. It may or may not prove to be the best option for you in the long run but give it a chance before you go in another direction. If you are constantly switching from one pillow to the next after trying for just a night or two, it’ll be nearly impossible to figure out what works for your needs. You have probably been using a basic, traditional pillow for most or all of your life, so it’s not reasonable to expect yourself to figure out how to sleep on an ergonomic pillow instantly.
Improving Your Sleep Starts Today
We hope this article has helped you understand the importance of using a good pillow. Specifically, we hope you will consider the idea of an ergonomic pillow, as using one that is right for your needs could help you settle into a deep sleep more often than not.
While you are working on finding the right pillow, don’t forget about the other parts of the bedding equation. For instance, considering a heavy blanket such as those available here at HevvyBlankets.com may be another nice upgrade to your bedroom. After a bit of experimenting, you should be able to settle on an arrangement that allows you to rest comfortably until your alarm goes off in the morning. Thank you for visiting HevvyBlankets.com!